Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fudge Sauce

So, on Sunday it was our turn to feed our missionaries. And, for some reason I hate having them come for dinner and not serving them some form of a dessert. The best part about dessert on this particular Sunday was that I had a craving ... and was able to follow through, even if I had to make a substitution. I was craving my grandmother's fudge sauce on ice cream.

Occasionally when we'd visit with my grandmother she would give us ice cream (in some glass dishes that I inherited from her when she moved), then drizzle on her homemade fudge sauce. It seriously is the best fudge sauce, ever! (It even makes great chocolate milk!)

GRANDMA’S FUDGE SAUCE

What you need:

1 large can evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla


How to do it:

Bring to boil over medium heat milk, sugar, and chocolate. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring vigorously. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with rotary type beater for 1 minute. Add additional evaporated milk for a thinner sauce.


Okay, so if you look closely at this picture, you will notice some cocoa powder on the range next to the saucepan. That is my substitute. When I opened my box of unsweetened chocolate squares I only had one square. So, I substituted with 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder and 1 Tbsp. butter (for each square I needed, so a total of 6 Tbsp. cocoa and 2 Tbsp. butter because I needed 2 squares). Trust me, the sauce tastes much better if you don’t have to substitute. Not that it tasted badly, there’s just a distinct flavor that was only an aftertaste, rather than tasting it the whole time.



Now this picture is just to show you that you can’t use a small saucepan very well. My mistake. I couldn’t stir the sauce very vigorously because it was threatening to spill over. So, I just cooked it a little longer because I like my sauce thicker rather than thin.


Tip: Fudge sauce is basically a syrup, and to make your syrup/sauce thicker you need to cook it until it reaches between 230-235° on a candy thermometer. At least, this is what helped me to cook my mom’s syrup to the right consistency.


And, here’s how much fudge sauce you’ll get in the end! Please excuse the attractive vacuumer in the background … our floor was pretty crumbly. (Side note: isn’t it awesome that my hubby will vacuum for me so I can have fun cooking things like fudge sauce without having to walk all over the crumbs on the floor?)

I don't think everyone who had this on their ice cream appreciated it as much as I did ... but, I will always remember times in my grandma's kitchen eating ice cream with her sauce ... YUM!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! All it needs is some of the chopped nuts that Grandma would always have out, too! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out how you aren't like 500 lbs. with all the yummy food you make.