Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Farmhouse Chicken

This week I'm posting one of my absolutely favorite dinners. Luckily for me, my sister was here while I made it, so she took pictures for you. (That's why they are so much better than the pictures I take!) She also said that she prefers step-by-step instructional photos, so that's what she took!

Originally I got this recipe from the Kraft Food & Family magazine a couple of years ago. Since then, I've altered it to my liking. (Actually, the original is much more health conscience: using things that say "reduced-fat," "light," "fat-free," and "reduced sodium." We're all about getting extra fat in our house [and flavor], so I just steer clear of such statements. But, to each their own; make it the way you want to make it!) So, I'll post the original recipe at the bottom in case you want that. Otherwise, this is the way I make it:

Start by heating about 1/3 cup Italian Salad Dressing in a skillet. Use more or less depending on how many chicken breasts you are using. I needed 6, so I used 1/3 cup dressing. Add your thawed chicken breasts to the heated dressing.


While your chicken in browning, start cooking some brown rice. I pour two cups brown rice into a pot, then fill the pot with water until the rice has about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water above it. Then, I boil the water down until craters form atop the rice. It usually takes a while to get to this point. So, we'll skip to the next thing I do after I start the rice:

Peel and slice diagonally 5-6 carrots. Again, the number varies according to how much you'll need. In my case, we LOVE these carrots, so I think I used 6.

Then, cut one onion into wedges. Put both the carrots and onions in a bowl and set them aside to use once the chicken is done browning.

At this point, the chicken has probably been browning for a few minutes. Turn it over. Let the other side cook until it turns a golden brown.

Add carrots and onions.

Pour in one can chicken broth. (Because I was feeding many people, I actually used 1 1/2 cans chicken broth in my rice instead of water, then I poured the left over 1/2 can of broth in with this one can of broth.)

Cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes; or until carrots are tender.

Check your rice. Do you have craters??? I did. So, I put a cover on my rice and reduced the heat to low. (Ten minutes from this point the rice is ready. This is how I make white rice as well, except the water is only 1-inch above the rice.)

Use this time to cut up one package of cream cheese into cubes. (Again, I used one and half packages because we LOVE the gravy for this dish, and I wanted to be sure to have enough.)

When your timer goes off, or your carrots are tender, remove everything from the broth. Cover it to keep it warm.

Add the cut-up cream cheese to the broth in the skillet. Whisk it together with the broth on high heat until the cream cheese is blended in. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 3-5 minutes or until it's thickened a little bit.



Pour cooked rice onto a platter.

Place chicken, carrots and onions atop rice.

Pour gravy over everything.

Take a good look at your very aesthetically pleasing dinner. Then, dig in and revel this yummy goodness.

FARMHOUSE CHICKEN DINNER

¼ cup flour
½ tsp. pepper
4 small bone-in chicken breast halves (1 ½ lb.), skin removed; or 4 skinless, boneless breasts
¼ cup light Italian dressing, reduced fat
2 cups Minute Brown Rice, uncooked
2 cups baby carrots
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
1 can (14.5 oz) fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
4 oz. Neufchatel cheese

Mix flour and pepper in shallow dish. Add chicken; turn to evenly coat both sides. Heat dressing in non-stick skillet and add chicken meat-side down; cook 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Turn chicken over; add carrots, onions and 1 cup broth. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are tender and chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile, prepare rice as directed on package; spoon onto serving platter. Use slotted spoon to remove chicken and veggies from stew; place over rice. Cover to keep warm. Add Neufchatel cheese and remaining broth to skillet; increase heat to high. Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is well blended, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 3-5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon over chicken and veggies; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks fabulous! I will definitely have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe once. My family loved it. I toatally forgot about it though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing this this week. Thanks for the great idea.

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight for Ryan and your Dad. I think they both liked it, though my gravy didn't get very thick. This is definitely one I'll do again. Keep these recipes coming.