Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Favorite Texas Sheet Cake

Texas Sheet Cake is pretty much a staple in every home, right?  And, there aren't very many variations to the recipe, that I found at least.  But, the one ingredient that I love paired with any kind of chocolate baked good is in this recipe ... and I love it (hence the title of this post ... "my favorite").  That one ingredient is: Cinnamon!  I just love the little spice it give to normal chocolate.  This recipe is actually a few recipes that I combined to make it just right.

TEXAS SHEET CAKE

What you need:

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 sticks butter
6 Tbsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
1 cup water
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk, so I added 1 tsp. lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and let it sit for a while ... turned into buttermilk in no time!)
1 tsp. vanilla
Chocolate Glaze

How you do it:

Sift together flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon.  Set aside.  Bring to a boil butter, cocoa and water.  Add to dry mixture and beat well.  Mix together baking soda, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; add to chocolate-flour mixture.  Pour into a greased 10x15 jelly roll pan (cookie sheet).  Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.  While it is baking, make the glaze.

Chocolate Glaze

What you need:

1 1/2 sticks butter
4 Tbsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
6 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 - 4 cups powdered sugar

Blend together butter, cocoa, milk, and vanilla in saucepan.  Beat in powdered sugar until smooth.  (If there are clumps of powdered sugar, you can add a few pecan pieces to break them up.)

No comments: