Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Zuppa Toscana Soup

Our family went to a friend's soup pot luck on Saturday night. I wasn't in the mood to make any of my regular soup recipes. That's usually how I work ... either I get a recipe suggested from a friend, or I try out a new recipe on a bunch of people (just in case we don't like it so we won't have to keep a ton of leftovers in the fridge that we won't end up eating).

Anyway, for some reason I thought it would be interesting to see if I could find a recipe to replicate the Zuppa Toscana soup served at Olive Garden. So, I tried this recipe; and it turned out pretty similar and very yummy. (In fact, one of the guys there asked if I was trying to win a prize [we'd just won "most original chili" at a chili cook-off].) This is definitely worth trying if you like that spicy sausage and potato soup.

Zuppa Toscana

1 lb. ground spicy Italian sausage, crumbled
1/2 lb. smoked bacon (6 slices), chopped
1 qt. water
2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth (about 3 2/3 cups)
2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chopped kale or swiss chard (I couldn't find either at the grocery store, so I used spinach)
1 cup heavy whipping cream (I added probably about another 1/2 cup)
salt & pepper, to taste

In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside. In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside. Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes. Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! Alan and I tried that the last time we went to the Olive Garden...Where did you find it?